Table of Contents
- Installing Boldermail
- Connecting your WordPress plugin to your Boldermail server
- Creating a List
- Adding subscribers
- Unsubscribing/deleting a subscriber
- Importing subscribers
- Adding a Subscriber Form
1. Download the Boldermail plugin from the Account page. Navigate here to login and access your account. Once you are logged in, click on the Downloads tab, and then click on the “Boldermail Plugin” button to start your download.
2. On your WordPress website, move your cursor over to Plugins, and then click “Add New” on the submenu.
3. Click on the “Upload Plugin” button at the top of the page. A file upload feature should appear. Click on “Choose File”, and then navigate to the location of the plugin file you download in Step 1.
4. If the plugin file uploads successfully, you should see a “Plugin installed successfully” message. Click on “Activate Plugin” to start using Boldermail.
Connecting your WordPress plugin to your Boldermail server
1. On your WordPress dashboard, navigate to Newsletters >> Settings. Enter the credentials given to you in the email we sent after we setup your server.
2. Click “Save Changes”. If you entered your credentials correctly, you should see a “The connection to your Boldermail account is active and working” message. If you are unable to connect to your server, please don’t hesitate to contact us!
Creating a List
1. The next step is to create a List of subscribers. Navigate to Newsletters >> Lists.
2. Click “Add New” at the top. You should now be in the “Add New List” page.
3. Fill out the information in the “Settings” meta box. Currently, there are 4 tabs with settings: List Details, Subscribe Settings, Unsubscribe Settings, and Footer Content. However, the only required information you need to provide is a name for your list. The rest is optional. Once you are done filling out the information, click “Create List” at the top.
4. The plugin will now create a List on your Boldermail server, and both the server and WordPress will communicate behind the scenes to make sure your subscriber data is synced and updated. If the List was created successfully, a success message will appear at the top. Otherwise, an error notice will show up. If the error notice appears, it will inform you what needs to be rectified. Again, don’t hesitate to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions!
1. To add a subscriber, navigate to a List, and click on the “Add subscriber” button at the top. You will be redirected to the “Add New Subscriber” page, where you can enter your subscriber information.
2. The only required information is the email address of your subscriber. Once you have entered your subscriber information, click on “Add Subscriber” at the top.
Unsubscribing/deleting a subscriber
1. You may navigate to any subscriber profile, and click on “Unsubscribe” or “Delete subscriber” to unsubscribe or remove the subscriber from your list, respectively.
1. The “Importing subscribers” feature allows you to import subscribers in bulk. You would use this option, for example, when you migrate your subscribers from another service, such as MailerLite or Mailchimp. To import subscribers in bulk, navigate to a List, and click on “Import subscribers” at the top.
2. The interface is rather basic, and we are working on making it a lot more intuitive and user-friendly. However, for now, it sure does get the job done! Each line of text you enter in the text box corresponds to a subscriber. The format for each line of text is First Name, Last Name, Email Address. For example: Hernan, Villanueva, email@example.com. Once you have copied and pasted your subscriber list, click on Import Subscribers. Please, do not close this window while the import is going!
3. We understand importing subscribers is actually the most difficult part of this entire process, so we are happy to format the data you export from Mailchimp or any other service to make it compatible with Boldermail. Simply contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org to get some help free of charge!
Adding a Subscriber Form
1. At the moment, we do not offer a form builder, but our plugin should work with any subscription form plugin you may already use on your site. For this step, we will use the Genesis eNews Extended plugin. However, if you use another form plugin and would like to keep it, write us at email@example.com, and we’ll be happy to provide instructions for you!
2. Install the Genesis eNews Extended plugin by going to Plugins >> Add New, and typing the name in the “Search plugins” text box. Click on “Install Now” and then “Activate”.
3. The Genesis eNews Extended plugin will add a widget to your widgets list. Add the widget to your sidebar, or wherever you wish to place it.
4. Fill out the information in the widget box. The key components are:
- Action: Use the URL of your Boldermail server + “/subscribe”; for example:
- E-Mail Field: type “email”
- First Name Field: type “name”
- Last Name Field: type “LastName”
- Hidden Fields: copy the following code and replace LIST_ID with the ID of the List you want this form to be used for. The List ID can be found by clicking on your List, and then checking the Info Meta box on the left of the page.
<div style="display: none;"> <label for="hp">HP</label><input id="hp" name="hp" type="text" /> </div> <input name="list" type="hidden" value="LIST_ID" /> <input name="subform" type="hidden" value="yes" />
The only required fields to fill out are “Action”, “E-Mail Field”, and “Hidden Fields”. You can leave “First Name Field” and “Last Name Field” empty to not ask your potential subscribers for that information. Click “Save” once you are done!
5. Your subscribe form should look like this:
Creating a newsletter
1. Navigate to Newsletters >> Newsletters. Click on “Add New” at the top.
2. Enter a Title for your campaign.
3. Fill out the “Setup your Campaign” meta box. The “To” tab lets you select to which List this newsletter will be sent to.
4. The “From” tab is to inform your subscribers who is sending them this newsletter.
5. The “Subject Line” tab allows you to write an email subject line, as well as any Preview text. Preview text is text that some email hosting providers may display next to the subject line, before users even open the email.
6. The “Design” meta box lets you select a template, and write your newsletter content. Click on “Select Template” above the editor. Pick a template — we provide 3 templates with your Boldermail plugin by default. If you need help migrating a template, or need help customizing one, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. When you move your cursor over a template, you can click on “Preview” to visualize a preview, or “Activate” to load the contents of the template onto the editor.
7. Once you have customized the content of your newsletter, click on “Save Changes” at the top right of the page. When you scroll down to the “Preview” meta box, you will be able to see how your template will look to your readers.